How to export client config file

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
jman
OpenVpn Newbie

How to export client config file

Post by jman » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:24 pm

Maybe I am missing it but I can't seem to find how/where to export the client config file so I can import it into the OpenVpn Client. Can anyone tell me the process for this? Thanks.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: How to export client config file

Post by novaflash » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:28 am

With Access Server you just go to the web interface and log on as a user. Then you download server-locked, user-locked, or auto-login profile. That's it. Those are the 3 typos of files you can import into the OpenVPN client. But do note that the server-locked profile only works with OpenVPN Connect for Windows and macOS.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

jman
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:55 pm

Sorry, I still don't see an option to download a profile. I am under Tools -> Profiles and all I see are options for:
  • Active Profile
  • Select Profile to Edit
  • Create a New Configuration Profile
  • Delete a Configuration Profile
But I don't see anywhere to download one.

What are the differences between those 3 profiles you listed?

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:59 pm

You're in the wrong web interface. There is an admin web interface where you are now, and a client web interface which is at the same web server but without the /admin/ in the URL. Please log on to the client web interface.

The profiles are explained here:
https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resource ... nstallers/
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

jman
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:09 pm

Ok, so when I go there, I get the options to download the connect client for different platforms.

I see one connection profile that can be downloaded - "Yourself (user-locked profile)".

I believe this is setup correctly for Radius integration. So if all is set up, I should be able to download this file and it will have all of the settings I need? I assume I have to modify the config file to point to the correct external interface?

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:25 pm

If the Access server is set up correctly, this user-locked profile should be everything you need on a standard OpenVPN client to get connected.

If the address it connects to is wrong in this file, then go to the admin web interface and to server network settings and in the 'host name or IP address' field put the correct external address of your Access server, and then re-download the user-locked profile. It should then be correct.