ASUS OpenVPN questions

Cram
OpenVpn Newbie

ASUS OpenVPN questions

Post by Cram » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:55 pm

I just installed an ASUS RT-AC68U modem in my home and promptly setup the OpenVPN server. I then copied the client and certification files onto a remote computer and executed the OpenVPN client. The client status showed:
- [RT-AC68U] Peer Connection Initiated with [AF_INET] 97.90.x.x:1194
- Initialization Sequence Completed

Hovering over the tray icon on the remote shows:
- Connected to: client
- Assigned IP: 10.8.0.x

Logs on the router also show evidence of a connection with my remote computer with several lines, including the following:
- vpnserver1[10912]: x.x.x.x:64317 TLS: Username/Password authentication succeeded for username "abcde"
- vpnserver1[10912]: x.x.x.x:64317 [client] Peer Connection Initiated with [AF_INET]x.x.x.x:64317 (via [AF_INET]97.90.x.x%eth0)
Where x.x.x.x is the IPv4 of my remote computer and "abcde" my login username

My layout is as follows (ISP is Spectrum/Charter):

NVR - - - - ASUS Router - - - - Modem - - - - ISP - - - - Remote computer
. . . . . . . .(10.8.0.1) ========================== (10.8.0.x)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .VPN tunnel

I am trying to connect to the NVR (Network Video Recorder) from the remote computer and I have NOT forwarded any of the NVR ports.

Interestingly, from the remote computer I can successfully ping the other end of the tunnel at 10.8.0.1 and “tracert 10.8.0.1” expectedly shows only one hop. However, I get "timeout" when pinging the Router's WAN address 97.90.x.x and “Tracert 97.90.x.x” shows hops are interrupted after several jumps within the Spectrum/Charter realm.

Yet, unexpectedly, I can connect to the NVR via a cell phone, without even performing any VPN client connection (no username, no password) !!!

Questions:
1. Why can't I ping the WAN address after the client successfully connects to the server?
2. Why can my cell phone access the NVR without any (apparent) VPN client connection?
3. What must I do to access the NVR so I can login? Do I need to forward any NVR port?

Thanks for any help.

S.

novaflash
I should be on the dev team.

Re: ASUS OpenVPN questions

Post by novaflash » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:27 am

Yeah, that's actually not our commercial OpenVPN Access Server product. Your Asus product is using the open source OpenVPN implement, so this board on this forum is the wrong place to ask. Try asking on the open source section of this forum.

Cram
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Cram » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:18 pm

Thanks novaflash. I actually got my problem fixed by pinging the NVR's address and it responded (not sure why the router's WAN address did not respond, though). Everything appears to work fine now.

S.

novaflash
I should be on the dev team.

Post by novaflash » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:04 pm

Maybe you have ping on WAN disabled? It's a security feature most routers have to 'hide' you on the Internet.