Cant access specific remote network

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
pzdtech
OpenVpn Newbie

Cant access specific remote network

Post by pzdtech » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:32 pm

I have connections for 2 different remote networks; the servers are configured identical (expect for subnet, of course). Firewalls, servers, etc all identical equipment and configurations. Everything has worked fine for over a year on this particular laptop. Now suddenly connection to one of the networks is not working. No updates to the firewalls or servers have been performed. Yesterday it all worked fine...no updates on the laptop and no new software installed overnight, so to my knowledge, nothing has been changed at either end.

Connect to network 1, and can access the shares on server1; everything works normally, as expected.

Connect to network 2, get an ip, but cannot connect to anything. When connected to network 2, a network scan (from a machine at the office) sees the laptop has an ip address issued to it; the logs confirm this. But I cannot ping the laptop, and the laptop cannot ping anything on the network.

I can connect to network 2 with a different machine, same openvpn credentials, same username/password, and everything is fine.

I have recreated/reissued the users credentials for the vpn, no change.

User is on Win10 pro btw, working from home. We have switched the laptop to other wifi networks for testing, plus her phones hotspot. Same issue.

I am stumped. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

pzdtech
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Cant access specific remote network

Post by pzdtech » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:12 pm

Update, with no success:
The end user can connect with someone else's openvpn config files, just not her own. We use username/password for authentication.
We deleted her from the openvpn server, and created a new user, issued new credentials, and it still does not work.
Her new credentials on my laptop, no luck. Something is up with the issuing service...any thoughts?

Thanks.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Cant access specific remote network

Post by novaflash » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:33 pm

I seriously doubt there is something wrong with what you term the issuing service. I am sure those certificates are fine. My guess is that things are just set up slightly differently for this user than for other users, and that that is the reason that it works for other users but not this one. Try comparing user properties to find the difference and make necessary corrections.

Next step is to just do packet captures to determine if Access Server is doing its job. It very likely is.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.