Failover mode setup

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
MariusE
OpenVpn Newbie

Failover mode setup

Post by MariusE » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi,

I currently have two virtual servers and i'd like to setup the following configuration : one is the host , the other is client. But I want the client to also be the secondary node.

As mentionned in the documentation :

https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resource ... over-mode/
"If one node is in a different network from the other node, this failover model can almost certainly not be used."

Both my servers are virtual and not in the same network. I was wondering if it was possible to have this setup running anyways.

Regards.
Marius

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Failover mode setup

Post by novaflash » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:36 pm

No.

But we are nearing a release of a cluster version of AS that can run in different areas and uses round-robin DNS to provide an automatic failover capability. It's currently only available in beta version on our website though.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

MariusE
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by MariusE » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Thank you for your help.

Also,I forgot to mention that both of those virtual servers are not on the same LOCAL* network.
I use the same provider for both my servers. But their public IP is different.

Does that change anything?

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:37 pm

No. For failover mode to work the two machines have to be in the same local LAN or it won't work.

With the beta clustering mode the intention is to have multiple nodes running in multiple locations, no matter where, and they are all reachable under the same DNS name, you just end up randomly at one of them, and they all share the same configuration. It's still under development but we're getting close to a workable first release. It sounds to me like that operation mode would work better for you.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

MariusE
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by MariusE » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Alright,

Thanks for your answers.