Changing Server Time

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
kevokvr
OpenVpn Newbie

Changing Server Time

Post by kevokvr » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:05 pm

Anyone know the best way to change the server's time? All my activity time stamps are 6 hours ahead of my time (Mountain). Seems like the servers are on UTC time. I couldn't find anytime on the admin gui.If I have to used command line can someone let me know the best way to connect to the server from a Windows 10 machine, never done it before. Thanks in advance.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Changing Server Time

Post by novaflash » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:08 pm

The logs are always in UTC.

Connecting to the server to control it on the command line is best done with PuTTY, a free Windows application to make an SSH connection. Please note that 'root' account usually cannot be used for this on modern systems. So you need an account with sudo privileges to do anything useful.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

kevokvr
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by kevokvr » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:52 pm

novaflash wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:08 pm
The logs are always in UTC.

Connecting to the server to control it on the command line is best done with PuTTY, a free Windows application to make an SSH connection. Please note that 'root' account usually cannot be used for this on modern systems. So you need an account with sudo privileges to do anything useful.
Thanks! Do you have any advice on the message I get below. Sorry, I'm new to this.

Disconnected: No supported authentication methods available (server sent: publickey)

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:54 pm

That would indicate your server will only accept a private/public key exchange for a connection. By default the root user will not accept password for example, but will accept that. So you need to either set that up, or instead use another user account that has sudo privileges.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

kevokvr
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by kevokvr » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:12 pm

Thanks, I will look into on how to make a user with sudo privileges.