Error when connecting OpenVpn in Server 2003

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
rajaseck
OpenVpn Newbie

Error when connecting OpenVpn in Server 2003

Post by rajaseck » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:28 am

Hello, I am trying to connect a 2003 server to Openvpn, I have downloaded the OpenVpn Connect executable from the server's IP and I have first received a warning regarding the TAP adapter driver, I have ignored it and continued with the execution, but when trying connect to the VPN I get the following error: jsondialog: running error jsondialog, status = (1, [], []), STDOUT = [], STDERR = []

Does anyone know what may be happening?

Thank you in advance.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Error when connecting OpenVpn in Server 2003

Post by novaflash » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:42 am

Yeah, your OS is not supported, it's a fossil. First of all, Connect Client doesn't do Windows Server, because it's for a workstation only, but it will USUALLY work. However, 2003 is so old, it falls within a similar family of workstation type software like Windows XP, and support for Windows XP is completely dropped.

Try the open source OpenVPN client, there is an old version still compatible with Windows XP if you scroll down to version 2.3 and use the Windows XP version:
https://openvpn.net/index.php/download/ ... loads.html
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

rajaseck
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by rajaseck » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:07 am

Hi, thanks for your response. And after running that client would I have to download the "client.ovpn" with the autologin configuration from the server and copy it to the "config" folder of the installed client? or do I have to do something else? additionally I have seen that when executing it, the OpenVPN Service is disabled, is it normal? Thank you

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:10 am

Yep that's it. And yes, the OpenVPN service is by default disabled. You can edit it to set it to start automatically at startup.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

rajaseck
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by rajaseck » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:33 am

Thank you very much, it works! ... "You can edit it to set it to start automatically at startup." How is this configured? it would be very useful ... in fact, on the PCs where I have the OpenVPN Connect I have not been able to do it, only after logging in.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:40 am

Use services.msc to look up the service, and open the service and change the startup behavior from manual to automatic.

rajaseck
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by rajaseck » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:55 am

But placing the automatic service would imply that the vpn would connect before doing the login? because I think I tried it before for a case of domain authentication but it did not connect to the vpn until I logged in, and therefore it would not allow me to authenticate with the domain user.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:10 am

The open source OpenVPN service starts before user login. But the user login prompt may appear before the service is fully connected.

rajaseck
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by rajaseck » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:45 pm

Thank You very much Novaflash.