OpenVPN server behind NAT

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
anthony4tner
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN server behind NAT

Post by anthony4tner » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:23 pm

I have an OpenVPN server that has to be behind a NAT for guest connection reasons. I'm trying to simply port forward 1194 through an asus router to the OpenVPN server but the connection simply times out. Connecting to the VPN internally works fine. I also tried using DMZ but that also didn't work. If anyone has any ideas on how to set this up it would be much appreciated.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN server behind NAT

Post by novaflash » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:04 pm

You probably didn't set the address that the clients should connect to in the 'host name or IP address' field in the Network Settings page of the Access Server. Set that and then reinstall your client and try again.

Also open up ports TCP 443, 943 and UDP 1194, for proper operation of the Access Server.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN server behind NAT

Post by novaflash » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:04 pm

Oh and set up a DNS record instead of using public IP directly, otherwise you're in a world of pain when your IP ever changes. Also, it's something that SSL kind of needs to be secure when you decide to install a real SSL certificate.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.