Expected Speed on Google Cloud

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
maxpowers
OpenVpn Newbie

Expected Speed on Google Cloud

Post by maxpowers » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi
We just deployed out OpenVPN on to Google Cloud (GPC) (https://openvpn.net/index.php/access-se ... cloud.html)
Everything went well, and works as expected. However, the speed is not what I expected.

The max we are able to transfer is under 50mb/s. In real world usage when accessing a file server (also on GPC on the same subnet as the OpenVPN) server we are generally seeing a max of 20mb/s.
Neither the file serve or vpn server are maxing out resources, or even coming close to it. The end vpn client testing machines are all 200mb/s+ connections and pretty new machines with plenty of processing power.

My question is, is this what is to be expected?
I just was hoping with google cloud's technical capacity we would be seeing much better results.
For example, a straight speed test on the file server shows it can transfer in and out at 500mb/s+. BUT, running via OpenVPN we can't get even 10% of that, all while resources (like CPU) are all under 25% usage.

Technical details:
The OpenVPN server is on n1-standard-1 (1 vCPU, 3.75 GB memory)
The file server is n1-standard-2 (2 vCPUs, 7.5 GB memory) running Windows 2016. It isn't doing anything else but file serving.
Both are on the Premium data tier, hosted in us-central1-c

Any tips, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks