Viewing Disconnected Users

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
JasonM
OpenVpn Newbie

Viewing Disconnected Users

Post by JasonM » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:09 am

Hi All,

Just wondering if there would be any way (through the web gui, or through API etc), to easily be able to see which User profiles are currently disconnected? I know I can see active users but in our use case the more useful information will be seeing any connections that are disconnected.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Viewing Disconnected Users

Post by novaflash » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:22 pm

Hello Jason,

Soooo if I understand you correctly, you want to see users that are not there. That's probably one of the funnier things I've read here. Perhaps I'm just not getting what you want from this. But in any case, you can go to User Permissions to see all your users, and you can compare that list to Current Users to see which users aren't connected now.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

rsenio
OpenVPN Power User

Post by rsenio » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:02 pm

novaflash wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:22 pm
Hello Jason,

Soooo if I understand you correctly, you want to see users that are not there. That's probably one of the funnier things I've read here. Perhaps I'm just not getting what you want from this. But in any case, you can go to User Permissions to see all your users, and you can compare that list to Current Users to see which users aren't connected now.
Yeah, that is odd to say the least. You could also look at the "Log Reports" and see when or who disconnected.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:07 pm

Okay so I twisted my brain around a bit and I have this suspicion that you want to monitor connections from the server side, and be notified when a client drops off. Here's a suggestion. You can run on the command line this command:

/usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/sacli VPNStatus

It lists all currently connected client. So if you program a piece of code that just contains an array of names, and compares it to this output, and if a user is missing from the list, prints that out, then you have your solution.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.