Slow transfer speeds on linux mint 18.3

Post Reply
sinister
OpenVPN User
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 9:26 pm

Slow transfer speeds on linux mint 18.3

Post by sinister » Mon May 21, 2018 1:10 am

Hi guys I am running a Openvpn-as server on a network with 200Mb down and 10Mb up, the linux mint client i am connecting from is also on a similar

network. Whenever i try to transfer a file from a smb share as small as 1GB the speed stays around 900 kBps I read on a older post on this forum

that your download on the client would only be as much as the server network upload now im not expecting a full 10Mb but 900 kBps ? something is definitely wrong here

can anyone help point me in the right direction ?

sinister
OpenVPN User
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 9:26 pm

Re: Slow transfer speeds over vpn

Post by sinister » Thu May 24, 2018 9:19 pm

has no one dealt with this issue before ?

User avatar
TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist
Posts: 5086
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:17 pm

Re: Slow transfer speeds on linux mint 18.3

Post by TinCanTech » Thu May 24, 2018 10:42 pm

You are using Openvpn-AS not the Community edition .. although, I have no doubt they share code.

Problems with speed almost always boil down to something other than openvpn ..

I am only replying so as you not waste your time looking in the wrong places.

sinister
OpenVPN User
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 9:26 pm

Re: Slow transfer speeds on linux mint 18.3

Post by sinister » Thu May 24, 2018 11:14 pm

TinCanTech wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:42 pm
You are using Openvpn-AS not the Community edition .. although, I have no doubt they share code.

Problems with speed almost always boil down to something other than openvpn ..

I am only replying so as you not waste your time looking in the wrong places.
Thank you for your reply any direction you can point me in ? ive been at this for weeks

User avatar
TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist
Posts: 5086
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:17 pm

Re: Slow transfer speeds on linux mint 18.3

Post by TinCanTech » Thu May 24, 2018 11:49 pm

sinister wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:14 pm
any direction you can point me in ? ive been at this for weeks
Are you running this on a RPi ?

sinister
OpenVPN User
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 9:26 pm

Re: Slow transfer speeds on linux mint 18.3

Post by sinister » Thu May 24, 2018 11:54 pm

TinCanTech wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:49 pm
sinister wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:14 pm
any direction you can point me in ? ive been at this for weeks
Are you running this on a RPi ?
No running this on unraid I'm here because the guys over on the unraid forums suggested these forums would be my best Chance for a solution

User avatar
TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist
Posts: 5086
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:17 pm

Re: Slow transfer speeds on linux mint 18.3

Post by TinCanTech » Thu May 24, 2018 11:59 pm

sinister wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:54 pm
running this on unraid
Can you `expand` on that?

:ugeek:

sinister
OpenVPN User
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 9:26 pm

Re: Slow transfer speeds on linux mint 18.3

Post by sinister » Sat May 26, 2018 1:02 pm

TinCanTech wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:59 pm
sinister wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:54 pm
running this on unraid
Can you `expand` on that?

:ugeek:
unRAID is a linux based OS in which you can run a variety of applications in the form of Dockers most are setup for out of the box use. But they can be modified to suit each person's needs

Post Reply