Connection conks out after few minutes

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
vmaxx
OpenVpn Newbie

Connection conks out after few minutes

Post by vmaxx » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:28 pm

Trying to connect to one of the commercial vpn providers from my internal network. The connection works great for the first few minutes then craps out. I see in logs it tries restarting but the pause time keeps getting bigger and never completes. After the connection drops the machines normal connection to external is messed up and can't connect to anything external without rebooting. I have tested this on Win 7 & Fedora and both do the exact same thing at roughly the same time. I just did the default install and their opvn file. I would think once I am connected things should be smooth. What should I be looking at to troubleshoot?

rsenio
OpenVPN Power User

Re: Connection conks out after few minutes

Post by rsenio » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:39 pm

I'm confused how this has to do with openvpn as

vmaxx
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by vmaxx » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:43 am

Um, everything works fantastic for hours, days, weeks, etc. I connect with the openvpn client and two minutes later the machine drops the vpn connection and can no longer connect to anything outside my local subnet. It does the same thing on windows & linux. The only thing common is openvpn. I just assumed openvpn would be a place to start.

vmaxx
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by vmaxx » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:20 am

I figured it out. There was an issue with openvpn. Sorry for the confusion.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:08 pm

Wow this is the most confusing thread ever.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.