multiple servers with identical config and login profiles

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
otdm
OpenVpn Newbie

multiple servers with identical config and login profiles

Post by otdm » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:36 pm

Hi,

I am trying to create a set of multiple OpenVPN Access Servers with identical configuration and logins. They should all share the same hostname. The idea is to use the AWS cloud and place an OpenVPN instance in each of the regions. The DNS resolution should then resolve the server with the lowest latency depending on the users location. This is done with AWS Route53. For the user there should be no need to switch between different servers when traveling across continents.
I already have multiple servers with the same hostname and that accept the same credentials (authentication via LDAP). Unfortunately when trying to connect to a different server it fails, I assume because the certificates don't match.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this task with multiple "identical" servers worldwide in different AWS regions?

rancorrancher
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: multiple servers with identical config and login profiles

Post by rancorrancher » Fri May 18, 2018 6:55 am

I'm looking to do exactly this, any word on if you were able to figure this out?

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Fri May 18, 2018 8:08 am

Currently one way to do this is to put the user properties and certificates databases in amazon rds or mysql. Then they share that same date. It's not entirely perfect because if you add a user, and you refresh server configuration, some properties aren't applied on the servers that are attached externally through the database. That means those servers need a manual refresh.

However, you might be glad to learn that we are building a cluster version of Access Server that solves this and other issues and is designed to be used in the way you want. It will take a while before we can release it, though. Probably 2 months or so. Maybe earlier.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Fri May 18, 2018 8:10 am

I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.