Client DNS registration not going over the VPN

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
Bun-Bun
OpenVpn Newbie

Client DNS registration not going over the VPN

Post by Bun-Bun » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:16 am

I have openvpn-as running on Centos 7 and the OpenVPN Connect client running on a Windows 8.1 Pro laptop. DNS works over the VPN but machines on the target network are unable to resolve my laptops IP when connected to the VPN. This is causing RPC and WMI to break.

I've added "push "register-dns"" to the client config directives but ipconfig /registerdns does not seem to be able to get over the VPN.

checking event viewer after ipconfig /registerdns is run shows that it appears to be trying to send the DNS registration to the local DNS server instead of the DNS server specified by the VPN. I do not know why.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Client DNS registration not going over the VPN

Post by novaflash » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:14 am

Yeah as far as I know it doesn't work that way. There are some options with WINS server and NETBIOS settings in Access Server, you can give those settings a go, might do what you are looking for. Alternatively, you can switch to layer 2 mode (a horrible decision but.. well it does simplify things in this case) so the VPN client actually becomes a part of the network where the VPN server is.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

Bun-Bun
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Client DNS registration not going over the VPN

Post by Bun-Bun » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:16 am

Came across this open tab. I did eventually fix my problem by switching my VPN server from NAT mode to routed mode and further troubleshooting reverse path filtering on my firewall...

But yes, openvpn-as in routed mode allows the windows DNS, RPC, WMI stuff to all work properly.