OpenVPN Newbie Having Some DNS Issues

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
sabrenation
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN Newbie Having Some DNS Issues

Post by sabrenation » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:52 pm

Hello everyone, first off some fair warning - I'm a complete noob to all of this. Long story short, I won a pretty nice Cisco rack server through a raffle at work the other day and have been at work trying to get it set up and configured with a few VMs. One of the first suggestions I got was to set up an OpenVPN Access server. After resolving some BIOS and firmware issues I got the system up and running on ESXi 6.5 yesterday and started working on deploying the OpenVPN appliance while following along with the instructions at https://docs.openvpn.net/getting-starte ... ware-esxi/

It went smoothly for the most part until I got to updating the Access Server to the latest version. I couldn't connect to the website to get the update file.

After some playing and tinkering it seems to be a DNS issue. I can ping my default gateway, I can ping any other computer on my internal network, and I can ping the DNS server by IP (using 8.8.8.8 for my testing) but ping -c3 www.google.com (or any URL) fails with an unknown host error.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on what I can try to resolve this issue?

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN Newbie Having Some DNS Issues

Post by novaflash » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:21 am

If DNS is the issue, I'd suggest looking into fixing the DNS settings in the OS. There's loads of guides on the Internet on how to configure that. Once you have the network configuration set right on your VM, and you can ping google.com and such, then the update instructions will work too.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.