Can't connect to access server outside LAN

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
itzzkolt
OpenVpn Newbie

Can't connect to access server outside LAN

Post by itzzkolt » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:26 pm

I was referred to OpenVPN's access server to safely access VMware ESXi web client by VPNing to my local network. I setup an access server & port forwarded ports 443, 943, 1194 which points to the access server IP. On my phone and computer, I can connect to the VPN locally, even with my external IP. However when I am on cellular and I try to import the access server profile on the OpenVPN connect app on Android with my external ip and port 943, the profile imports and the profile is saved under root@192.168.1.113 (the access server's local ip) and I can't connect. And I don't believe I can access it through external IP on a computer outside my network.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Can't connect to access server outside LAN

Post by novaflash » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:29 pm

You neglected to update the address at which the Access Server could be reached from the Internet. Update it under Server Network Settings, in the 'host name or IP address field'. Preferably set it to a DNS record that resolves to the public IP address that your Access Server can be reached at. If you don't have a DNS record then use an IP address. Then save settings and update running servers. Then remove the already installed profile from your phone and redownload it and reinstall it. Then connect.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

itzzkolt
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Can't connect to access server outside LAN

Post by itzzkolt » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:48 pm

novaflash wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:29 pm
You neglected to update the address at which the Access Server could be reached from the Internet. Update it under Server Network Settings, in the 'host name or IP address field'. Preferably set it to a DNS record that resolves to the public IP address that your Access Server can be reached at. If you don't have a DNS record then use an IP address. Then save settings and update running servers. Then remove the already installed profile from your phone and redownload it and reinstall it. Then connect.
That worked! Finally. Thank you very much!