OpenVPN on Raspian Stretch AUTH FAILED after editing server.conf

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
stockster
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN on Raspian Stretch AUTH FAILED after editing server.conf

Post by stockster » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:15 pm

Hey guys

I hope someone has an input on the following matter: As soon as I added the following configuration to my server.conf file, I could not authenticate my VPN Clients anymore:

Code: Select all

Sun Oct 22 12:28:27 2017 AUTH: Received control message: AUTH_FAILED
Sun Oct 22 12:28:27 2017 SIGUSR1[soft,auth-failure] received, process restarting
All I wanted to do is simply setup up email notification on client connect and disconnect events; for that I added the following lines to the config:

Code: Select all

client-connect /etc/openvpn/triggeremail.sh
client-disconnect /etc/openvpn/triggeremail.sh
script-security 2
Once i remove those lines from the config again, authentication with clients starts to work normally again.

A few details on the setup. I run OpenVPN 2.4.0 and OpenSSL 1.0.21 on Raspian Stretch.

I think this is not by design or at least it does not make sense to me... For any kind of assistance I would be extremely grateful. In case you should need further information, I will gladly provide it.

Regards,

stockster

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN on Raspian Stretch AUTH FAILED after editing server.conf

Post by novaflash » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:12 pm

This may sound silly but... if those two scripts are added and the server stops authenticating, then, something's up with those scripts. Permissions, maybe, like +x on the files missing.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

stockster
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN on Raspian Stretch AUTH FAILED after editing server.conf

Post by stockster » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:53 pm

Hello novaflash

Thanks for your reply and please excuse myself for not answering. I kind of lost track of the issue once I posted the question here, sorry about that. However, as I have just "tripped over" the solution today, I wanted to at least share my stupid mistake in case someone else should ever face a similar issue.

It was not a permission problem (as in your suggestion) but even more silly:

There was a linefeed above the #!/bin/bash line, that prevented the script from running correctly. Silly me.

Merry Christmas.

Regards,

stockster