how to use openvpn as client for fritz 7490

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
maurizio1951
OpenVpn Newbie

how to use openvpn as client for fritz 7490

Post by maurizio1951 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi
i'm new with openvpn.
I would like use it as a vpn client to connect with my home network where there is a fritzbox 7490 (with standard firmware)

I need help to create configuration file.

there is someone that can send me a template configuration?

Thanks

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: how to use openvpn as client for fritz 7490

Post by novaflash » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:40 pm

From experience, the Fritz!Box routers do not do OpenVPN protocol, therefore you can't connect them directly to an Access Server. So your idea to use the Fritz!Box as an OpenVPN client doesn't fly.

You *might* be able to do it with custom firmware Freetz with OpenVPN support, but I don't think I need to tell you that that will likely break your warranty and there's no guarantees it will work.

Best solution to connect a whole network to an Access Server is to set up a Linux gateway client system as described here in the site-to-site setup guide:
https://docs.openvpn.net/connecting/sit ... in-detail/

From experience, the Fritz!Box routers support static routes just fine.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

maurizio1951
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by maurizio1951 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:16 pm

Thanks for the answer.
I think it's too risky to modify the router's FW. my router manages a small computer network inside my office and I need to connect to the computers on this network when I'm out of office. I was thinking of installing a VPN client on my laptop. At this time I can do this by opening a VPN tunnel from my iPhone but I would like to connect from my laptop PC.
Do you have any advice?
Thanks

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:24 pm

I would advise that you do not mess up your router firmware.

If you only need one computer connected, just install the client software for that computer and get connected.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.