Untrusted Certificate Warning

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
greenieofdub
OpenVpn Newbie

Untrusted Certificate Warning

Post by greenieofdub » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:06 am

Hi

I'm running the OpenVPN Access Server appliance version 2.1.1. I've added a public SSL cert however am getting the below error when trying to connect with the client. I can ignore the warning, however defeats the purpose of installing a public certificate.

Reason: X509_V_ERR_UNABLE_TO_GET_ISSUER_CERT_LOCALLY: unable to get local issuer certificate

I've confirmed the private key matches the certificate. I've also confirmed both the intermediate and root CA are in the CA file i uploaded via the web admin interface.

Any ideas on how to diagnose this issue?

Thanks
Matthew

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Untrusted Certificate Warning

Post by novaflash » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:02 pm

You will probably want to upgrade that to 2.1.12.

Regardless, the issue seems to be that the connection between your certificate and the root authority could not be made, possibly due to a missing intermediary certificate between the root CA and your certificate, or possibly due to a missing root CA in the client software. Try using https://www.digicert.com/help/ to see if your certificates are installed right, and if the problem continues, make sure you update your Access Server to the latest version and also install the latest version of Connect Client by downloading it from your upgraded Access Server.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.