lan to lan connection

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
evanderv
OpenVpn Newbie

lan to lan connection

Post by evanderv » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:59 pm

I have an AWS OpenVPN Access server setup and then I have 2 servers that our on the same LAN as the Access Server. I can connect to the OpenVPN server from another device but I would like to be able to communicate to the device that is connected from a device that is in the same network as the OpenVPN server. Is this possible?

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: lan to lan connection

Post by novaflash » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:31 am

This has been asked and answered 5 billion times already, but, yes, it is possible. But you have to use routing instead of NAT. By default NAT is used on the Access Server so that the network where the Access Server lives doesn't need to have any special things configured. But such a setup does not make it possible for computers in that network to reach the connected VPN client. In order to do that you need to use routing (VPN Settings > allow access to private subnets > yes, using routing) and you will then need to add a static route to the default gateway in the network where the Access Server is running that points traffic intended for the VPN client subnet to the local IP address of the Access Server. The Access Server will then function as a gateway and pass the traffic on.

If you switch to routing and don't add a static route, traffic will just fail. With routing a static route or some method of getting traffic from the computers in the Access Server side of the network to reach the VPN clients will be necessary.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.