JSON Error on Mac OS X El Capitan

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
saltworkstech
OpenVpn Newbie

JSON Error on Mac OS X El Capitan

Post by saltworkstech » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi all,

We are running OpenVPN access server ver 2.0.8 at work and all of our users use Windows, save for one user who is on Mac OS X El Capitan.

I tried to set up OpenVPN Connect for him but when I tried to connect, I get the error below:

vpn.<companyname>.com disconnected

JSONDialog: Error running jsondialog, status=(5, [].['task_for_pid(): 0x5']), stdout=[], stderr=['task_for_pid():

I've read some older posts that says the problem could be resolved by disabling SIP on El Capitan, but this leaves the system vulnerable so it is not preferred. I have also seen a post from Jan 2016 stating that the problem should have been fixed with the release of access server 2.0.21 with the new 2.0.18.203 client. I don't have access to the user's laptop right now, but could anyone let me know if the access erver 2.0.8 we have would still have the updated client that addresses the problem? If not, could anyone point me to a solution that does not require disabling SIP on the user's laptop? Thanks!

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: JSON Error on Mac OS X El Capitan

Post by novaflash » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:40 pm

This is actually a really old error that cropped up when El Capitan was released. They disabled a function the Connect Client, older versions, used. A few days after El Capitan was released, we released a Connect Client that fixes this problem. Since you're still on the older version, you should try this;

Log on to the Access Server web interface as a user. Use the 'LOGIN' option, not the 'CONNECT' option. Download the Connect Client for Mac OS X again and install it. If your Access Server is up-to-date, then your Connect Client will be brought up-to-date as well. If your Access Server is not up-to-date then this won't achieve anything. So make sure your Access Server is up-to-date as well. We're at version 2.1.4(b) now. If your Access Server is outdated, update it and then follow the steps again to download and install the updated Connect Client. If you're having problems upgrading, try submitting a support ticket by going to www.openvpn.net and signing in, then clicking 'support' to open the support ticket system and submit a ticket there.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.