Open VPN Connect - No VPN Server found

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
thomasputhusserry
OpenVpn Newbie

Open VPN Connect - No VPN Server found

Post by thomasputhusserry » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:28 am

I have been using Open VPN connect client from Windows 10 Professional for a while without any issues. From last week onwards after PC restart, I can't connect to VPN server through OPen VPN connect and I see the message - No VPN server found. If I uninstall and reinstall the VPN client (OpenVPN Connect) then it works normally until next restart. This is obviously quite inconvenient and wonder anyone else has come across such a situation?

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Access Server version: 2.0.20

Thanks Thomas

stocksy
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Open VPN Connect - No VPN Server found

Post by stocksy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:21 am

Sorry for the noise, but did you ever find a solution to this? We are seeing the same problem with OpenVPN Connect on both Windows and macOS.

Bco
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Bco » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:23 pm

I'm plagued by this issue as well. Seems like there's not too much information on it.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:27 pm

As a first suggestion I'd say, update your system, AS 2.0.20 is fairly old. After that update your Connect Client.

If the problem still occurs the next most likely culprit is a program on your computer that blocks localhost traffic, which it shouldn't. So, an antivirus program or such blocking some stuff.

And if that all doesn't help, consider the open source client instead although it may be plagued by the same problem, or it may not be.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

Bco
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Bco » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:56 pm

What I have found is that for some reason on windows 10 the profiles are being deleted or not installed during setup, so I have manually copy and pasted the profile configs into C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN Technologies\OpenVPN Client\etc\profile. This has solved the issue, but is a pain to have to do on each one having the issue.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:36 am

I can't reproduce this problem. Are you sure you're using OpenVPN Access Server 2.1.12 with Connect Client 2.1.3.111 on Windows 10? And how are you installing this, exactly? I mean what user account are you logged on to when you install the Connect Client, and does it have limited permissions and do you escalate privileges, and if so, how, and is that a user that has admin rights on the local computer?

I am asking because if I can reproduce it, I can get it fixed. But so far none of the tests we've ever done have ever produced this problem, and even when investigating user's computers, we'd just do a basic install and it would work. If we get the data we need to fix it, we can give it a shot.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

Bco
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Bco » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:29 pm

Sorry Nova, I am not the OP, but I have the same issue as OP. I am on a much older version currently and updating both the client and AS are on a long laundry list of things to do. I realize this may very well be my issue, but I am making due with what we have at the moment and just posted my temporary band-aid. Apologies if I made you go on a wild goose chase.

To answer your questions though the installer has been run as an admin, without admin and the user account running the program is a local admin on the PC.

mdyer
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by mdyer » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:35 pm

Note: Using Cylance for endpoint protection

I'm using OVPN Connect 2.1.3.111 - same issue, resolved by uninstall/reinstall. What I find is that the OVPN Service will stop as soon as I attempt a connection. In the windows application log I find the following:

Event ID 255
OpenVPN Access Client: Error in service startup: [Errno 10055] An operation on a socket could not be performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or because a queue was full [capiws:50,internet/reactor:38,internet/selectreactor:200,internet/selectreactor:72,internet/posixbase:168,internet/base:471,internet/base:893,internet/posixbase:204,internet/posixbase:72,socket:228]

Followed by EventID 255
OpenVPN Access Client: Error in service startup: ('Could not adapt', None, <InterfaceClass twisted.application.service.IService>) [capiws:56,application/app:713]

client.log
OVPNCLI error: APIDown: OpenVPN client API is down

capi.log:

2018-02-28 12:21:32-0500 [-] Log opened.
2018-02-28 12:21:32-0500 [-] Network up
2018-02-28 12:21:32-0500 [-] del_win_nrpt_reg_key: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified: client/cliapi:413 (exceptions.WindowsError)
2018-02-28 12:21:32-0500 [-] ProfileManager: Error reading bundled profile: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\OpenVPN Technologies\\OpenVPN Client\\etc\\bundled.json': client/profman:732,util/simplefile:28,util/simplefile:20 (exceptions.IOError)
2018-02-28 12:21:32-0500 [-] OpenVPN exe path: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN Technologies\OpenVPN Client\etc\..\core\openvpn64.exe
2018-02-28 12:21:32-0500 [-] Schedule swupdate monitor in 120 seconds, range=(120,None), error=False, initial=True
2018-02-28 12:21:32-0500 [-] OpenVPNClientXMLAPIServer: [('asn1 encoding routines', 'ASN1_mbstring_ncopy', 'string too long')]: client/cliapi:55,client/cliapi:275,client/cliapi:351,client/profman:423,client/clisite:286,client/clisite:72,pki/pki:248,pki/pki:116,pki/pki:121,pki/pki:82 (OpenSSL.crypto.Error)
2018-02-28 12:21:32-0500 [-] Exception KeyError: KeyError(14044,) in <module 'threading' from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN Technologies\OpenVPN Client\core\library.zip\threading.pyo'> ignored

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:26 am

It looks like there is a string in your profile that is exceeding some sort of limit. Perhaps the server name is excessively long, like vpn.whateveryourservernameisthatisverylongandiscausingaproblem.com or something. Try a shorter name? You can change this on the server in the Server Network Settings page.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:27 am

Oh i forgot to add that after you change it and save settings and update running servers on the Access Server, you should uninstall this connect client on your client computer, and download a new one from your Access Server, and install that.

mdyer
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by mdyer » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:57 pm

I opened the .ovpn file for one of my hosts with a long hostname (70 characters). The hostname has the following format:

Code: Select all

xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.elb.us-east-x.amazonaws.com
I am able to import the profile and connect to the host without any problems. All of my other hosts have significantly shorter names.

I'm going to try working for a couple of days just using `connect` to the host name, without importing the actual .ovpn file to see if there are any differences in behavior. I have been experiencing this problem once a day on average.

I found the following "long lines" in the profile.

Code: Select all

OVPN_ACCESS_SERVER_PROFILE=myuser@xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.elb.us-east-x.amazonaws.com
OVPN_ACCESS_SERVER_WSHOST=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.elb.us-east-x.amazonaws.com:443

remote xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.elb.us-east-x.amazonaws.com 1194 udp
remote xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.elb.us-east-x.amazonaws.com 1194 udp
remote xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.elb.us-east-x.amazonaws.com 443 tcp

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:24 pm

I'm pretty sure the issue is the excessively long name. Shorten it to something more common like vpn.yourdomain.com and see what happens.