Feature request: DNS per group permission

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
sliddjur
OpenVpn Newbie

Feature request: DNS per group permission

Post by sliddjur » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:37 am

Hello, we're an MSP that use OpenVPN AS.

We crate group per customer. But I would like to push seperate DNS servers to each customer.

Can we please get an option to be able to push DNS per group?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Feature request: DNS per group permission

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:02 pm

Hello sliddjur,

It's on the feature request list.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

sliddjur
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by sliddjur » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:16 pm

When is it going to be implemented? Its been on that list for years....

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:45 pm

sliddjur wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:16 pm
Johan can answer that better than I can, but I can suggest possible workarounds.

If you have group IP addresses in your AS, you can use named(8)'s view feature to provide possibly different query replies to different networks. You would point all clients at the same nameserver, but change how the nameserver replies. It depends what your high-level goal is.

Split DNS in named

HTH, regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

sliddjur
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by sliddjur » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:16 am

openvpn_inc wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:45 pm
sliddjur wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:16 pm
Johan can answer that better than I can, but I can suggest possible workarounds.

If you have group IP addresses in your AS, you can use named(8)'s view feature to provide possibly different query replies to different networks. You would point all clients at the same nameserver, but change how the nameserver replies. It depends what your high-level goal is.

Split DNS in named

HTH, regards, rob0
Thanks, we already use named with views. That is what we want to avoid, because it just adds another layer to manage.