Status file log

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
Cody
OpenVpn Newbie

Status file log

Post by Cody » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:34 am

Hello!
OpenVPN Access Server Appliance 2.8.5

I need some log information about clients. Who, when and how much was logged in. If I understood right - this info usually possible to find in openvpn-status.log file. But its no similar files on my server. Manual says set up server.conf, but because this is Access Server, here is no file with this name too.
Help me please!

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Status file log

Post by openvpn_inc » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:30 pm

Hello Cody,

With Access Server there are these places you can find information:

Log on the web interface as an admin user and go to 'current users' and go to 'log reports'. In current users you can see who is connected now, and in log reports you can look up information on when somebody connected/disconnected, what their public IP was when connecting to your VPN server, and how much bandwidth they used.

In /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts there is a tool called logdba that can be used to query the log reports from the command line. There is also a tool sacli that has useful features for monitoring the status of the Access Server:
./sacli status
./sacli vpnstatus
./sacli vpnsummary

And in /var/log/openvpnas.log there is technical information about connections, authentication, web services, basically all the innards of Access Server. This can be used for more advanced information like peer information of connecting clients and authentication failures and so on.

Hope that helps,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

Cody
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Status file log

Post by Cody » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:49 am

Thank you, Johan, its helps!