Total noob - openvpn on vps - how to change admin password

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
redfirebrooks72
OpenVpn Newbie

Total noob - openvpn on vps - how to change admin password

Post by redfirebrooks72 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:06 pm

Hello,
I have installed a docker openvpn on my vps.
everything is running fine but how to change the default admin password ?
in User management / user permissions I have the admin user, but where i change the password it looks that is has no effect. it's always the same default password I have ti use to connect.

and secondary question, how can I change the time zone ?

please help

dborchert
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Total noob - openvpn on vps - how to change admin password

Post by dborchert » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:17 pm

Well this doesn't look promising. I'm stuck with the same issue and figured I'd search the forums before potentially posting a duplicate question.... only to find this topic unanswered? :cry: Did you ever figure it out? I'm logged into the admin, I go to admin's properties page and there's one field to update the password. I update it, click save, then update running config but the password stays the same. Running Access Server 2.7.5.

UPDATE: I even enabled the option in the admin, for the user admin, to be able to "Allow password change from CWS:". When I log into the CWS as me, I see a "Change password" option. When I log in to the CWS as admin, I don't have that option, and I also see "Yourself (user-locked profile)".

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Total noob - openvpn on vps - how to change admin password

Post by openvpn_inc » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:28 pm

Hi There,

You mean change the password for the default user "openvpn"?
If so, it is actually part of the OpenVPN Access Server installation process which you can find here: https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resource ... ux-system/
It was mentioned that, initially a single administrative user is added to the system. But it has no password set and therefore cannot be used yet. To use it a password must be set first using the below command. And this can also use to change it.

Code: Select all

passwd openvpn
Also, mentioned here, which is the Recommendations to improve security after installation: https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resource ... tallation/
dborchert wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:17 pm
Well this doesn't look promising. I'm stuck with the same issue and figured I'd search the forums before potentially posting a duplicate question.... only to find this topic unanswered? :cry: Did you ever figure it out? I'm logged into the admin, I go to admin's properties page and there's one field to update the password. I update it, click save, then update running config but the password stays the same. Running Access Server 2.7.5.

UPDATE: I even enabled the option in the admin, for the user admin, to be able to "Allow password change from CWS:". When I log into the CWS as me, I see a "Change password" option. When I log in to the CWS as admin, I don't have that option, and I also see "Yourself (user-locked profile)".
Regards,
Crowley
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support