OpenVPN 2.5.0 Windows installer hangs

Weekly dev snapshots are available for testing.
We talk about them here. Testing features in the dev snapshot helps the features make it to stable.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please report your experience with testing branch. Include what you were using and how
If there is a problem, the more info the better!
gstreeter
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN 2.5.0 Windows installer hangs

Post by gstreeter » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:33 am

I have been unable to install the v2.5 Windows OpenVPN package. Neither the release version or any of the betas and RCs would install either.

The OpenVPN-2.5.0-I601-amd64.msi installer hangs and eventually puts up a window stating that the installer is not responding. Retry results in the same behaviour. Cancel is the only option.

v2.4.9 installs and operates as expected and has been in active use since released

I've tried reboot, disable the ESET internet security etc. The installer always fails to perform any action.

Windows 10 Pro 20H2

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: OpenVPN 2.5.0 Windows installer hangs

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:17 pm

This is the first report of such an issue.

Try uninstalling ESET.

gstreeter
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN 2.5.0 Windows installer hangs

Post by gstreeter » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:10 pm

The issue appear to be a long delay in the initial stage of the installer before it starts to show activity. I had to press the "retry" button after each timeout period when the panel appears saying "the installer is no longer responding". It took 3 timeouts before the installer started showing any activity. It looks like the initial delay is caused the creation of a windows restore point as the first action by the installer. This is on a laptop with an SSD and no other installer shows such a long delay in creating a restore point.