OpenVPN reports different version of OpenSSL from what is installed

Weekly dev snapshots are available for testing.
We talk about them here. Testing features in the dev snapshot helps the features make it to stable.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please report your experience with testing branch. Include what you were using and how
If there is a problem, the more info the better!
banjo
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN reports different version of OpenSSL from what is installed

Post by banjo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:57 am

Another noob question:

I built from source and installed OpenSSL 1.0.2l into the standard system libraries successfully.

I then installed prerequisite packages for OpenVPN which caused OpenSSL 1.0.1t to be installed, overwriting my newly created OpenSSL. So, before building OpenVPN, I ran a "make install" from the OpenSSL 1.0.2l libraries, which overwrote the newly installed 1.0.1t OpenSSL. Following the "make install", an "openssl version" command reported that it was 1.0.2l (so far so good I thought).

I then built OpenVPN using the dpkg suite and installed it. Now, an "openvpn --version" command reports that it is using OpenSSL 1.0.1t even though OpenSSL is still reporting that it is 1.0.2l

noob questions:
a. why the discrepency
b. is openvpn using 1.0.1t or 1.0.2l
c. what have I done wrong
d. how do I fix this (do I need to)

regards, Banjo

banjo
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN reports different version of OpenSSL from what is installed

Post by banjo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:30 am

bump

I have even run "sudo apt-get remove openssl" followed by a re-install of my compiled binaries. Same result.

Surely there must be some boffin out there that can answer this ...

TiTex
OpenVPN Super User

Post by TiTex » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:55 am

your are probably building openvpn against openssl OpenSSL 1.0.1t headers

banjo
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by banjo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:06 am

Thanks Titex.

That is what I am concluding BUT I could not verify that fact. Noob here thinks "I have run apt-get remove openssl" so why are the headers still there? And, if they are still there, how do I get rid of them once and for all? And, do you know what directory they would be in? I have found headers in /usr/include/openssl but they seem to be the headers from the newly build openssl

TiTex
OpenVPN Super User

Post by TiTex » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:15 am

headers are not included in openssl package , those are usually in dev or devel packages depending on what type of distribution you have
and you should never remove a package like openssl that is provided by your distro , you risk messing it up, instead you should install the new version to a different location (/usr/local/ssl/ by default i think) and if you need to use that version for some things just add it to your PATH before the distribution's version.

banjo
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by banjo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:06 pm

Thanks TiTex - will start again and see how I go