DDNS config change for OVPN query.

Scripts to manage certificates or generate config files

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

smallhagrid
OpenVpn Newbie

DDNS config change for OVPN query.

Post by smallhagrid » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:15 pm

Hello Folks.

Background info related with my query that follows here, below this=>

Code: Select all

About 5 years ago I created an OpenVPN connection to help a friend who is far away from me.
Since then things have changed every so often & they are again needing to be changed due to the closure 
of the DDNS provider.

I have searched here on the terms 'ddns' & 'dynamic DNS' & found some very non-specific info in this 
Cert/Config management area as well as in the Server Administration area - related info - but not 
any direct answers to my query.

Those threads are as follows:
https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=15522
https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7650
https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10576

I tried posting my query before & only got chastized after it was moved for me into 'off-topic, related'.
My query is specifically about reconfiguring OpenVPN to accept a different DDNS provider, which I describe thusly:
I need to change the OVPN client and/or server settings to reflect & accept a different DDNS provider, which is kept updated by an app that is quite easy to change for this purpose - it is ONLY the OVPN settings which concern me.

From what I can see, it looks as if I may be able to change the domain setting used for this in the .OVPN file whilst leaving all else the same - but I remain uncertain & do not wish to break it by skipping any needed steps.
I need to know if that is enough, or if I also must regenerate other files for this change, please.

Hopefully my query here is specific enough & will get some helpful info in reply as I only have several days left in which to change this to maintain that very needed connection to help my friend.

Thanks for any helpful replies !!

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: DDNS config change for OVPN query.

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:19 pm

All you need to change in Openvpn is the --remote FQDN in the client config to reflect your new DDNS name.

smallhagrid
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by smallhagrid » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:23 pm

THANK YOU TinCanTech !!!!!!

Specifically then, please confirm for my very literal self:
This is the setting that I referred to which is rather obvious, inside the .OVPN file - yes ??

Thanks Again for such a helpful reply !!!

smallhagrid
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by smallhagrid » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:56 pm

OK, final bit of info...posting here in case it may be helpful for anyone else.

Now that I've done it - yes, the very exact & literal solution I needed was to change the obvious FQDN inside the .OVPN file - AFTER replacing the DDNS provider, which was done with greater care this time.

For anyone needing to use DDNS who would like to avoid the uncomfortably unpredictable changes via 'free' providers, this may be a better method to get & keep that going for long periods of time.

What I did was to register a new domain for under $6 & 5 years at namecheap - waited for it to become active & added a 2nd 5 years for the same price such that the total cost was very reasonable for 10 years.
That company offers DDNS at no additional cost.
Then I added a subdomain with a DDNS A record per their very clear instructions after confirming with them that there is no need for that subdomain to point to any hosting for the DDNS to work.
Then I changed the single mention of the FQDN in the .OVPN file;
Lastly I changed the DDNS updater app settings at the remote end to use that subdomain.

At the end of the day I now have a solid remote connection with DDNS that is under MY control for a very acceptable cost.

Disclaimer:
I am merely a regular customer of namecheap who enjoys taking advantage of their really good specials & not any sort of affiliate or the like.