Openvpn and vpnbook and --block-outside-dns

Scripts to manage certificates or generate config files

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

elboppo
OpenVpn Newbie

Openvpn and vpnbook and --block-outside-dns

Post by elboppo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:50 am

As the subject line says I am trying to get openvpn and vpnbook to stop the dns leak so my question is as follows:

where do I put the "--block-outside-dns"??

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Bob

phousen
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Openvpn and --block-outside-dns

Post by phousen » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:29 am

:bump:

Me too, I would like some help with this.

I have upgraded openvpn to version 2.3.10 on my ubuntu server and on my win10 client.
When I add --block-outside-dns or block-outside-dns to the config file on the ubuntu server and restart the openvpn service, it fails. So since I cannot push that option to the client, I tried configuring it on the client.

When I add --block-outside-dns or block-outside-dns to the configuration file on the client, it has no effect. The tunnel interface has google DNS set, but nslookup still uses my ISPs DNS.

Here are the configs that I have tried:
# Certain Windows-specific network settings
# can be pushed to clients, such as DNS
# or WINS server addresses. CAVEAT:
# http://openvpn.net/faq.html#dhcpcaveats
# The addresses below refer to the public
# DNS servers provided by opendns.com.
push "dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8"
push "dhcp-option DNS 8.8.4.4"
block-outside-dns

on the client:
client
dev tun
tun-ipv6
proto udp
remote x.x.x
pull
block-outside-dns

Thx.

rseiler
OpenVPN User

Re: Openvpn and vpnbook and --block-outside-dns

Post by rseiler » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:47 am

That's interesting, since adding it to the opvn on the Win10 client here (I have no control over the server) definitely has an effect: no DNS at all, so the connection is basically useless.

My theory is that another change needs to be made to the file beyond just that addition.

phousen
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by phousen » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:31 am

I found out that the nslookup I was doing to check if my vpn was leaking DNS-requests, is not a good method for testing.
I fugured since my DNS changes when I switch to VPN, it would show when I run nslookup, but it doesnt.
Instead, I ran a packet capture on my client-device and on the vpn-server: No trafic axcept for vpn traffic that leave mu device and on te server I see no DNS-requests goin to my ISP, only to the DNS-server I configured for the VPN.
So all is good :)

agbelang
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by agbelang » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:05 am

Is this thread still alive?
My experience is that Win10 clients are still not working. The block-outside-dns command does stop all traffic because the DNS leak is plugged and there is no default gateway assigned on the VPN tunnel. I have tried everything I can think of to assign the gateway but nothing works. I have run the openvpn GUI as administrator, tried pushing various commands from the server, running those same various commands directly on the client; but everything results in no default gateway assigned.

I have read that win10 doesn't like to accept manually assigned gateways. Is there another way to do this in openvpn? Maybe through DHCP or something?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:08 pm

agbelang wrote:Is this thread still alive?
This thread was for using --block-outside-dns with vpnbook.

Please post your problem, with the correct details, in this forum:
viewforum.php?f=6

Please see the Forum rules (top of that page)