Customized OpenVPN client? (FlyVPN)

This forum is to discuss and rate service providers of OpenVPN and similar services. THIS IS NOT A FREE ADVERTISEMENT. All posts have a poll with a rating of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, to rate the quality of service, etc.
Forum rules
1) You must create a poll with 5 options, Do Not Recommend (1), Poor (2), Acceptable (3), Would Recommend (4), Strongly Recommend (5).
2) This is not a free advertisement for providers, but a place to review those providers.
3) Polls which are found to be doctored by providers will be locked to a rating of 1 and the source of the spoofing will be revealed to all, including Google.
vrgpy
OpenVpn Newbie

Customized OpenVPN client? (FlyVPN)

Post by vrgpy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi, i am trying to connect to a VPN service provider offering openvpn protocol as an option.
For windows, they provides a client which includes a openvpn.exe that seems as a custom built or maybe a commercial version.

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\FlyVPN\openvpn>openvpn.exe --version
OpenVPN Accelerator 2.1.3 Win32-MSVC++ [SSL] [LZO2] built on Dec 31 2012
Originally developed by James Yonan
Copyright (C) 2002-2010 OpenVPN Technologies, Inc. <sales@openvpn.net>

C:\Program Files (x86)\FlyVPN\openvpn>ls -l openvpn.exe
-rwxrwxrwx   1 user     group     1540608 Jan 12  2013 openvpn.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\FlyVPN\openvpn>sha1sum openvpn.exe
bcd4e1d1b50163fb09f32a33b89b23c98bd81d60 *openvpn.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\FlyVPN\openvpn>
The GUI app calls the binary in this way:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\FlyVPN\openvpn\openvpn.exe" --proto udp --mssfix 1320 --remote 187.157.45.17 53 --nobind --dev tap --auth-user-pass --pull --ca ca.crt --tls-client --service OPENVPN_EXIT_{05F607A4-6E2F-42e8-AFE0-7F56211E6B88} --remap-usr1 SIGTERM --verb 5 --redirect-gateway def1 --ext-magic-crypto --comp-lzo
Of all the options, this one " --ext-magic-crypto" is not explained in the comunity version documentation of openvpn.

Can someone confirm if this OpenVPN Accelerator is part of the commercial version of openvpn :?:

I think it could be to add some external encryption or HMAC implementation or key.
If i manually run without it the log ends with this lines:
us=997000 TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)
us=997000 TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
us=13000 Send P_VPN_COMMAND: 1
us=13000 Send P_VPN_COMMAND: 1
us=13000 TCP/UDP: Closing socket
us=13000 SIGTERM[soft,tls-error] received, process exiting
I am still waiting for their support response.
I want to connect to them with a linux client of openvpn. In their web site they claim linux support but no information is given on this.
If they are using some customized version, or don't provide info on the linux client, then i probably will try PPTP o L2TP/IPSEC. :(

As a last option i think i could use this advice to build a OpenVPN server in AWS : http://swimminginthought.com/amazons-fr ... n-server./

Traffic
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Customized OpenVPN client? (FlyVPN)

Post by Traffic » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:04 pm

Re: https://www.flyvpn.com/freetrial
FlyVPN Client (PPTP, L2TP + IPSec, OpenVPN*) on Windows 7, 8, XP, Vista
  • 1. Download FlyVPN Client, input free trial VPN account and password.
    2. Read FlyVPN Client tutorial or contact our customer support if you have any question.
I suspect the OpenVPN* means it is their own product based on the the original OpenVPN code .. but not true OpenVPN.

--ext-magic-crypto is not OpenVPN.
vrgpy wrote:Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\FlyVPN\openvpn>openvpn.exe --version
OpenVPN Accelerator 2.1.3 Win32-MSVC++ [SSL] [LZO2] built on Dec 31 2012
Originally developed by James Yonan
Never heard of OpenVPN Accelerator before.

Plus it is based on a seriously outdated version of OpenVPN.