OpenVPN Connect For Single Windows User Only

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
TSMontana
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN Connect For Single Windows User Only

Post by TSMontana » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:51 am

Hi,

Have a Windows 10 Pro machine I have installed OpenVPN Connect on to use a with a VPN provider. (needed to "whitelist" certain external IP's along with all internal LAN IP's to bypass the VPN, so couldn't use providers's own native Windows client to do that).

On the same Windows machine (with the same IP address on my LAN)

User A (admin user, do not want to use OpenVPN Connection at all)
User B (non-admin user, want to use OpenVPN Connection at all times [except for those whitelisted IP addresses] while logged on)

Made a "connect" shortcut and stuck it in the "Startup" folder of User B, so when User B logs in to the machine, the OpenVPN connection is automatically instantiated and connects. Works great for User B. However, if I switch back to User A on the same machine, while User B is still logged in, the OpenVPN connection is still running and directing all of User A's traffic through the VPN. When User B is logged out, the VPN connection is closed and User A can go back to VPN-less traffic/usage.

Is there a way to segregate the OpenVPN connection for just User B, and let any other user not be affected by it? Or is there another solution to try?

Windows 10 Professional x64 1909 (18363.778)
OpenVPN Connect x64 3.1.3.(713)

Thanks.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: OpenVPN Connect For Single Windows User Only

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:36 pm

TSMontana wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:51 am
Is there a way to segregate the OpenVPN connection for just User B, and let any other user not be affected by it?
No.
TSMontana wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:51 am
Or is there another solution to try?
Not that I know of.

TSMontana
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN Connect For Single Windows User Only

Post by TSMontana » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:54 pm

Thank you for the quick reply, TCT. Appreciate it.