Help please! 3 days to figure out why I cant achieve speeds over 70mbps on a 300mbps connection.

Use this forum to share your VPN or network disasters. Show diagrams, traffic graphs, or whatever else you need (a video of you letting the 'smoke' out of our network gear).

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Calbha
OpenVpn Newbie

Help please! 3 days to figure out why I cant achieve speeds over 70mbps on a 300mbps connection.

Post by Calbha » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:39 pm

Bought an i5-5200 2.2ghz aes-ni processor and 4 gigs of RAM and after a pisspoor installation guide from Nord and digging through many forums figuring out which options do what, I finally got openvpn working without throwing some kind of errors in the log. I tried tcp and udp with the same speeds. it didnt matter I wasn't going to get more than 70mbps on a 300mbps connection. I figured an aes-ni processor would help with the fact openvpn can only use one core at a time and deal with overhead. My options are as follows:

tls-client;
tun-mtu 1500;
tun-mtu-extra 32;
mssfix 1450;
cipher AES-256-CBC;
key-direction 1;
auth SHA512;
auth-retry nointeract;
persist-key;
remote-cert-tls server;
reneg-sec 0;
auth-nocache;
sndbuf 524288;
rcvbuf 524288;
disable-occ
mute-replay-warnings;

Udp fast i/o is checked

Nord disagrees that this box should be able to handle more bandwidth.

Things ive tried:
At least 100 different servers
Multiple connections in a grouped gateway which ironically though may have been a solution for some slowed me down further.

Am I just refusing to believe my hardware limitations? Ive seen people with lesser specs achieve far higher speeds. and I should step down my internet package and save money for bandwidth I can't really use? The bill is about to roll over and Im about to downgrade.