VPN print problem

Use this forum to share your VPN or network disasters. Show diagrams, traffic graphs, or whatever else you need (a video of you letting the 'smoke' out of our network gear).

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

mauriolivares
OpenVpn Newbie

VPN print problem

Post by mauriolivares » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:16 pm

Hello I have problems to print by vpn, please if someone can help me, the scenario is as follows

I have in a company a linksys router with IP 192.168.01 with internet access, connected to this router I have a mikrotik
rb750 with IP 192.168.0.100 configured with an OpenVPn server. I also have a Windows server with IP 192.168.0.2

100km away is the other office with an adsl modem connected to the internet with IP 192.168.1.1 and another one mikrotik rb750 with IP 192.168.1.28
connected to this modem configured as OpenVpn client and a printer with IP 192.168.1.66

In this way I managed to carry out with convexion VPN site to site.

The problem is that I cannot print from the Windows Server (192.168.0.2) that is in the central office
on the printer (192.168.1.66) that is in the other office. From the server I was able to install the printer, I can access the
configuration of the print, I can even ping it with a satisfactory response but when I send the print
it never goes out, it doesn't give an error, it doesn't stay in the print queue, it just goes out and never goes out the printer.

Can someone tell me I have to do something else? any other configuration in the mikrotik? Thanks

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: VPN print problem

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:23 pm

If you require professional assistance with managing your company network
then I am available for hire: tincantech at protonmail dot com

mauriolivares
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by mauriolivares » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:54 pm

tincantech ... thanks... but no, I'm in Argentina

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:16 pm

What difference does that make ? This is the Internet.

mauriolivares
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by mauriolivares » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:27 pm

nobody?...I thought that here, I was going to get help

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:48 pm

Your VPN works fine, so openvpn is working.

You do not know how to print over your VPN, which has nothing to do with Openvpn.

In your company, do you give your service away for free also ?

vnicolici
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by vnicolici » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:15 pm

@TinCanTech - I am also not interested, and yes, sometimes I do offer my services for free. Referring to "You do not know how to print over your VPN" - why would be printing over VPN be different from printing over a normal network, if the VPN works properly?

One reason I could think of is that some protocols are blocked by the VPN or something similar. But then it wouldn't be a "you do not know how to print" problem but a "your VPN is not configured properly" problem.

In any case, I have a similar problem, I can ping the printer, access its web interface, but for some reason its driver doesn't see it and refuses to install it when I give its IP to the driver software. Then, after installing it on an existing unrelated IP of another printer, then configuring its port (IP) manually, it shows the printer as offline. Trying to print results in the message "error - printing" in the print queue after a minute or so. The printer is an EPSON SC-3200.

I'll play with Wireshark for a bit to see if I can find what's going on. I'll let everyone know if I find a solution. For free.

ordex
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by ordex » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:29 pm

@vnicolici might it be related to firewall? if you can ping but can't print, seems like the printing service port is blocked? Maybe because the VPN has different firewall rules on the client?

vnicolici
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by vnicolici » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:32 pm

After further troubleshooting, it seems that immediately after connecting to the VPN I can ping the printer fine, and access its web interface. Then, after about 5 minutes, the printer stops responding to pings through the VPN, even though pinging it from the local network works fine. Disconnecting and reconnecting OpenVPN fixes that. Sometimes if I reconnect too fast after disconnecting it still doesn't work.

The workaround has been to keep a command prompt open with

ping -t [printer ip]

running, while I configure the printer driver and do the print tests. Then the printer works fine.

If, however, I stop that ping, wait 5-10 minutes, then try to ping the printer again, it will fail. Strange behavior.

In any case, the OpenVPN server is an extremely old version, so probably the first step to troubleshoot further would be to bring it up to date.

ordex
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by ordex » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:43 pm

vnicolici wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:32 pm
In any case, the OpenVPN server is an extremely old version, so probably the first step to troubleshoot further would be to bring it up to date.
I totally agree. You may be hitting an already fixed bug.

johnnybegood
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by johnnybegood » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:07 pm

hi
do the same
i have last version of openvpn
connect to work on open vpn
with distance connection in microsoft windows
at home i print (home printer)
take few min to start
and print just half page and never end printing need to stop to get paper