Tunnel IPSEC VPN through OpenVPN?

This is the forum to post your config. Include diagrams, usage graphs, and all the other goodies to show off your network.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Rob22
OpenVpn Newbie

Tunnel IPSEC VPN through OpenVPN?

Post by Rob22 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:36 am

I have OpenVPN server and client configured on two OpenWrt routers and the connection is working. I'm trying to tunnel through this OpenVPN connection via an IPSEC VPN client and it connects, I can ping and access some machines on the network but cannot access some critical machines, and I can RDP to one machine I need to use but the connection drops shortly after.

Am I trying to achieve something that is not possible? Are the two protocols causing too much latency?

I can OpenVPN from location 1 and browse the internet as if I am in location 2
PC@location1 -> router with OpenVPN client -> internet -> router with OpenVPN server@location2 -> internet

Now I want to tunnel through that working connection to connect to an IPSEC VPN server that won't allow connections from location1

IPSEC VPN Client installed on PC@location1 -> router with OpenVPN client -> internet -> router with OpenVPN server@location2 -> internet -> IPSEC VPN Server -> local network

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Tunnel IPSEC VPN through OpenVPN?

Post by openvpn_inc » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:02 am

Hi Rob22,

I doubt it's due to the multiple protocols in use, but sure, too much latency hurts something like RDP. If you managed to connect at all, that means your routing is correct on both sides.

Regards, rob0 (or rob$((22-22)) perhaps)
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Tunnel IPSEC VPN through OpenVPN?

Post by TinCanTech » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:46 am

Rob22 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:36 am
Now I want to tunnel through that working connection to connect to an IPSEC VPN server that won't allow connections from location1
Easy ..