How to update to newer OpenVPN version

This is the forum to post your config. Include diagrams, usage graphs, and all the other goodies to show off your network.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

MWpas
OpenVpn Newbie

How to update to newer OpenVPN version

Post by MWpas » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:57 pm

Hi,

I have an ASUS router (AC-RT68U) running the latest firmware and the OpenVPN server. On the client side, the connection log shows it runs OpenVPN 2.4.6 with two warnings:
1. WARNING: --ns-cert-type is DEPRECATED. Use --remote-cert-tls instead
2. WARNING: this configuration may cache passwords in memory -- use the auth-nocache option to prevent this

While the VPN connection works fine, I'd like to address these two warnings. I understand that a newer version of OpenVPN is out, but I do not know how to update to that version. For example, is the update performed on the router (the server) or on the client?

So, can someone either point to a thread that explains how to update or simply post the upgrade steps?

I looked for editable code to change the lines that show the warnings, but could not find any.

Thanks

-M

MWpas
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: How to update to newer OpenVPN version

Post by MWpas » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:18 pm

OK, I figured out how to remove the two warnings. Open the configuration file (the one with the .ovpn extension in the /config folder) with either notepad or (better) notepad++ and make the following text changes (before the certificate):

auth SHA1 ==> auth-nocache
ns-cert-type server ==> remote-cert-tls server

What I am still trying to figure out is how to update to OpenVPN 2.5 or later. Anyone has recommendations?

-M

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:15 am

OpenVPN 2.5 hasn't been released yet, so you can't update to that. Also, Asus is in control of your firmware for your device, so only they can do it.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

LordMicidial
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by LordMicidial » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:42 pm

Hello,

I'm experiencing a similar issue. I just bought an ASUS RT-AC51U for triggering NORDVPN through OVPN. Unfortunately, looking at the Syslog, it seems that the router supports OVPN 2.3 and currently I cannot update it because the router already installed the latest firmware.

Given this, I believe I should buy another router, the RT-AC51U does not even support ASUS WRT Merlin.

How do I manage to check in advance the version of OVPN installed on a router? I don't want to waste my money again!

regards