VPN setup

Use this forum to share your network setup and what's been working for you.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

mlatx6
OpenVpn Newbie

VPN setup

Post by mlatx6 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:12 pm

I’m not sure if this is the right post for this. I want to make my browsing annonymous. I have some questions on setup. I have an unraid server and can run openvpn as a docker. But that won’t encrypt my local traffic. From outside I can coonect to it and encrypt say my phone traffic. But at home, my understanding is I would need to setup an openvpn server on some cloud provider. Insuppose I can have my local openvpn server talk to the cloud server and get encryption that way. Is there any advantage to doing this vs just buying a private vpn service? I’m trying to see if it is worth the time. Thanks.

MikeRobinson
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: VPN setup

Post by MikeRobinson » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:12 pm

If you "want to make your browsing anonymous," well, you really can't do that. You can use an OpenVPN client to connect to some (paid-for) OpenVPN service somewhere, which would conceal where you are coming from, but it would not prevent the destination from recognizing that the packet emerged from "the endpoint IP of a known public-OpenVPN host" at the far end of the tunnel, which it could detect and maybe block.

This would keep the remote from knowing "the public IP-address of your house or coffee-shop," but it would be apparent to the remote – if it cared – that the traffic was emerging from an OpenVPN tunnel endpoint.

JNehru
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by JNehru » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:14 pm

You can make you browsing private by using TOR and VPN both. Both are paid service.

jigs
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jigs » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:27 am

I say save time and effort and use VPN...much easier and more worry-free