Openvpn for Microsoft Windows Embedded Compact Version 7.00

This is where we can discuss what we would like to see added or changed in OpenVPN.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

phazeight
OpenVpn Newbie

Openvpn for Microsoft Windows Embedded Compact Version 7.00

Post by phazeight » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:02 pm

Hey all, need some help with a tricky one.

I work for Higher Ed, in the Dining department. This spring we are trying to roll out a mobile food cart/truck. The truck will have a POS in it with capability to connect to the campus wireless network, put also has a Verizon data device as well. The idea was that most of the time, it will be in a location where it can use the campus network to talk to the POS server, but in reality, it will probably be on the Verizon data device about 80% of the time.

The POS is running on a tablet with Microsoft Windows Embedded Compact Version 7.00 (Build 2824) on it. Since the POS will likely be running off the Verizon device most of the time, it will need a VPN client to authenticate with our VPN server to be able to record sales.

We generally use Cisco Anyconnect, but have found that not to be compatible with the Windows version mentioned above. We are having a heck of a time finding alternatives, so I thought I'd ask for some help here.

Is there an installer for OpenVPN that works on the Windows build mentioned above?

Thanks to anyone who responds!

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Openvpn for Microsoft Windows Embedded Compact Version 7.00

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:21 pm

Please see the Downloads page here:
HOWTO: For OpenVPN Community Edition

I don't know if we support your version of Windblows .. give it a try and let us know, thanks.

phazeight
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by phazeight » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:57 pm

Yea the POS vendor we have kinda sucks. No idea why they are using an OS build that old. I tried your current Windows installer, but it appears Windows Compact Embedded doesn't run .exe's?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:36 pm

So what is the VPN server you use ?

phazeight
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by phazeight » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:18 pm

Generally it's been Cisco Annyconnnect, but they don't have a client version that works on the Windows version described above.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:21 pm

Perhaps you will have to move the VPN function to a dedicated device .. eg, router ..