OpenVPN windows mobile solution planned ?

This is where we can discuss what we would like to see added or changed in OpenVPN.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

GKL1520
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN windows mobile solution planned ?

Post by GKL1520 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:12 am

Is there any plans to make an OpenVPN client for windows mobile ?

I have been trying to find a solution to remote connecting to my router VPN from my windows phone.

All I want to do is to have just one ip network security camera on my home LAN that we can view remotely with our windows phones when we are away from our home WIFI and need to use our data plan.   Sounds simple right ?, but further down you'll see what obstacles I am running into !

Here is our equipment:

Windows Phones:  Nokia Lumia 1520 and Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE (both running Windows mobile 8.1)

VPN  Router:  ASUS RT-ACRH13  https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-A ... fications/

IP Camera:  HIKVISION DS-2CD2342WD-I   http://www.hikvision.com/us/Products_1_10508_i7593.html

The easy and simple solution would be if there was a windows phone client for OpenVPN but as far as I know there is not any yet.

Now (unless I'm mistaken) I'm finding out the windows phones vpn option "L2TP over IPsec" requires the vpn router to have a "L2TP over IPsec" server and it seems consumer class vpn routers only have OpenVPN servers which windows phones can't connect to and the business class vpn routers that do have a "L2TP over IPsec" server are way too expensive (over $200 and up) for the average home user on a budget and especially for me being retired on social security.

I have been asking for help on an ip camera forum but so far the only safe solutions offered were switching to android phones (not an option as our windows phones are fairly new) or getting a very expensive business class router, also not an option being on a budget on social security.

The other options that would work other than what I just mentioned were said to be very unsafe security-wise, and that is either port forwarding or using Hikvision P2P camera viewing service.

I'm somewhat tech savvy in general, but ip cameras and VPN is a new area for me and I'm quickly finding out the tech industry does not make it easy when it comes to compatibility options with windows phones.

It would be very much appreciated if any network savvy techs could look at my router specs at the link above and offer any other solution for having a working VPN connection to our Windows phones so we can remotely view our security camera thru data when we are away from our home WIFI.

Thanks !

Gary

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: OpenVPN windows mobile solution planned ?

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:03 pm

So far no work has gone into porting Openvpn to Windows phone.

GKL1520
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by GKL1520 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:42 pm

TinCanTech wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:03 pm
So far no work has gone into porting Openvpn to Windows phone.
Thanks for the reply !

The more I research the more I see how many window phone users are desperate for a windows mobile OpenVPN client.

Don't know if finances would motivate someone to make it, but maybe if a Go-Fund-Me page was made that was somehow set up so that all the funds would not be released to the developer until a working client was available. From what I have been reading online there could be a lot of windows users who would gladly donate. Just a thought !

My wife and I love our windows phones, we had switched from android and I would hate to be forced to go back to android, we just enjoy our windows phones that much.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:00 pm

M$ wind blows don't like competition .. I guess :evil:

GKL1520
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by GKL1520 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:05 pm

TinCanTech wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:00 pm
M$ wind blows don't like competition .. I guess :evil:
But you would think MS would realize giving windows phone users what they are asking for will make them loyal customers and help get new customers too :roll: :lol:

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:20 pm

If only it were as easy as Angry Birds :mrgreen:

GKL1520
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by GKL1520 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:38 pm

TinCanTech wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:20 pm
If only it were as easy as Angry Birds :mrgreen:
:lol:

What I'm trying to also understand is why it seems like the average affordable consumer class VPN router has a OpenVPN server, but to get a VPN router with an "L2TP" server (that will work with windows phones) you have to buy a very expensive business class router that is hard for the average consumer on a budget.

I wish there was a good consumer class router under about $75 that had a "L2TP" VPN server, but I have not found any yet. :|

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:57 pm

On a good day ..You get what you pay for .. otherwise you probably get fleeced !

And this has gone quite badly off topic quite quickly ..

To get OpenVPN on Windows-phone you have to understand Why it has not been done yet.

GKL1520
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by GKL1520 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:12 pm

TinCanTech wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:57 pm
On a good day ..You get what you pay for .. otherwise you probably get fleeced !

And this has gone quite badly off topic quite quickly ..

To get OpenVPN on Windows-phone you have to understand Why it has not been done yet.
From what I read (I think elsewhere on this forum) one reason is it is supposed to be very difficult to make OpenVPN to work with windows mobile. (I don't think anyone said impossible, just difficult)

(the ASUS RT-ACRH13 router I bought was under $70 and works extremely well, it just don't have the VPN server I need :| :lol: )

Frendreks
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Frendreks » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:37 am

Synology NAS devices has VPN server for L2TP.. I have 950XL connected to this and it works.. L2TP with Cert is the choise (userid & pass)

GKL1520
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by GKL1520 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:13 am

Frendreks wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:37 am
Synology NAS devices has VPN server for L2TP.. I have 950XL connected to this and it works.. L2TP with Cert is the choise (userid & pass)
Thanks for the reply and info, but I had since found a solution called Softether that works great with Windows mobile at - https://www.softether.org/