two operating system pc . wrong route.exe usage

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

smail
OpenVpn Newbie

two operating system pc . wrong route.exe usage

Post by smail » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:33 pm

hi
i have two operating system on my PC . Microsoft windows XP on C: and SEVEN ultimate on D: drive
on XP openVPN client works perfect but on SEVEN ultimate that is installed on D: drive it doesn't
I checked the log and I find out that openVPN use route.exe on C: drive thats belongs to windows XP instead of using route.exe of windows SEVEN that is present on D:
it is using
C:\WINDOWS\system32\route.exe
that is belong to Xp.

how can i configure openvpn to use the right route.exe of windows seven that is located on D:\WINDOWS\system32\route.exe
i installed two separate open vpn client on each operating system.

Bebop
Forum Team

Re: two operating system pc . wrong route.exe usage

Post by Bebop » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:56 am

smail wrote: I checked the log and I find out that openVPN use route.exe on C: drive thats belongs to windows XP instead of using route.exe of windows SEVEN that is present on D:
That doesn't seem right at all. Your Understanding of how C: and D: operate is not right. Windows Xp and Windows 7 should both show their home directories as "C:" when they are booted. So, when you boot Windows 7, the "C:" drive will be Windows 7. When you Boot windows XP, the "C:" drive will be Windows XP.

If you don't believe it, go and hunt through the file system for "C:".. you will see it is always the operating system that is currently booted.

Do you have an actual problem with connectivity, or is this thread simply about the appearance of "C:" in the log?
The cure for boredom is curiosity

smail
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by smail » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:25 am

yes i have problem with connectivity .
i am using your-freedom proxy software and openvpn client together to route the traffic throw the virtual LAN port tap-win32.

but on my PC the seven home drive directory is always on D:
no matter which OS boot-up

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i find out that something like "win-sys path|" must to edit to do that . I have not any knowledge of programming . could you tell me how to do that or create a config file for me .

thanks

Bebop
Forum Team

Post by Bebop » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:41 am

OK I stand corrected about that. I didn't know Windows would boot as "D:", so thank you for the lesson :shock: Now that I can see it with my own eyes, the Windows flag is sure a dead give away :oops:

As for your problem now.. I am not sure I know the answer to this but I will see if I can find someone who knows more about it.

Mimiko
Forum Team

Post by Mimiko » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:29 am

Add to the config file:

Code: Select all

win-sys 'env'
By default OpenVPN takes system command from C:\Windows. I suppose that OpenVPN by default will not work on Windows 2000, because system folder is named WINNT. There must be raised a ticked to modify OpenVPN binaries to always take by default the path to system folder from environmental variable, then from start-up disk.

Starting with Windows 2000 the boot disk of the system may have any letter, even Z. The letter is defined when system is installed or later may be changed in a hard way. Althought, changing the boot disk letter may affect 3rd software which are not well designed.

Bebop
Forum Team

Post by Bebop » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:56 am

Mimiko wrote:Add to the config file
Hope this works for you smail, Mimiko is the expert in this field, so I've no doubt. Also, thank you Mimiko.

smail
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by smail » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:17 am

i added the value to config file but openvpn still do the same thing .

Mimiko
Forum Team

Post by Mimiko » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:38 am

The it's definatelly something wrong with your Windows 7. I have two systems with Vista on C and XP on D. Running OpenVPN from XP with that option got me to right folder. You can specify directly the D folder, but its not a good idea:

Code: Select all

win-sys D:\\Windows
Write with two backslashes.