Squid and OPenVpn is this possible?

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

heavy_t
OpenVpn Newbie

Squid and OPenVpn is this possible?

Post by heavy_t » Thu May 26, 2011 1:31 pm

Hi guys
I bought a vpn service from witopia, which works great as I am living in asia now. but being the noob i am i didnt realise that it only comes with shared IP addresses.
So I rented a vps server, and setup squid proxy with its own static IP address and due to being a cheap server i couldnt install Openvpn due to kernal issues (I did read there is a solution but it would have taken alot of work)

The problem with squid is I only enter proxy details in my webbrowser so my information isnt encrypted to my server. I then turned on my openvpn and used my proxy with openvpn (witopia). It worked great and when i checked whatismyipaddress dot com, it gave my static IP address.

So my question is if i use openvpn (witopia) with my squid proxy is the information getting encrypted to my server through the vpn tunnel?

Thanks in advance :D

janjust
Forum Team

Re: Squid and OPenVpn is this possible?

Post by janjust » Thu May 26, 2011 4:09 pm

with your vpn provider witopia traffic encrypted from your pc to the witopia server; traffic is decrypted there and forwarded out onto the internet; if you then access a squid server traffic between the witopia server to the squid server is plain text;

if all you need is HTTP/HTTPS access then I wouldn't even use OpenVPN; I'd set up a SOCKS server on the VPS box and reroute all web browser traffic via that.

heavy_t
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Squid and OPenVpn is this possible?

Post by heavy_t » Thu May 26, 2011 5:11 pm

janjust wrote:with your vpn provider witopia traffic encrypted from your pc to the witopia server; traffic is decrypted there and forwarded out onto the internet; if you then access a squid server traffic between the witopia server to the squid server is plain text;

if all you need is HTTP/HTTPS access then I wouldn't even use OpenVPN; I'd set up a SOCKS server on the VPS box and reroute all web browser traffic via that.
Hi thanks for your reply ;)
I should have mentioned i use multiple IP addresses. Thats why I was using squid as it lets me choose the IP address i want. If I use putty and ssh server only, I can only browse with the default IP address, then trying to setup the IP tables gets a bit complicated..
:(