Using web hosting account for VPN tunnel

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

hknight
OpenVpn Newbie

Using web hosting account for VPN tunnel

Post by hknight » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:05 pm

Is it possible to install OpenVPN at a place that does Linux hosting, and to tunnel in using that IP?

Bebop
Forum Team

Re: Using web hosting account for VPN tunnel

Post by Bebop » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:23 am

Yes possible. Also a common practice. You will need a VPS or dedicated server. VPS start at about US $5.00 per month. When you get a VPS it should be XEN or OpenVZ virtualization, and also it should be advertised as "TUN enabled".

Let me know what country you want to lease a VPS and I can offer some suggestions.
The cure for boredom is curiosity

hknight
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by hknight » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:58 am

Thanks. I purchased a CentOS Linux VPN server with TUN/TAP support. I successfully setup OpenVPN on the machine. Now I have four files:
ca.crt
client.ovpn
client1.crt
client1.key

How can I change the IP address of my local Windows PC? What software should I use, and how should I connect to my VPN server?

Thanks!

Bebop
Forum Team

Post by Bebop » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:36 am

Now you can install OpenVPN on your Windows PC: http://www.openvpn.net/index.php/open-s ... loads.html

After this its a matter of setting the client config (.ovpn file) and issuing certs or passwords.

A guide from the web such as this will be helpful for the server part: http://library.linode.com/networking/openvpn/centos-5

For the client config, it will be necessary to just edit a few lines from the sample which comes with the installation (if I remember correctly)...
The cure for boredom is curiosity

wowsr
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by wowsr » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:39 pm

Bebop wrote:Yes possible. Also a common practice. You will need a VPS or dedicated server. VPS start at about US $5.00 per month. When you get a VPS it should be XEN or OpenVZ virtualization, and also it should be advertised as "TUN enabled".

Let me know what country you want to lease a VPS and I can offer some suggestions.
Hi, can you please make a suggestion for on a VPS for the US? I have been looking to invest in a VPS account but they are all quite expensive. Sorry for the off-topic.
Thanks!
Cheap and reliable Wowza Media Server hosting at http://www.serverroom.us/wowza

vmaster17
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by vmaster17 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:47 pm

wowsr wrote:
Bebop wrote:Yes possible. Also a common practice. You will need a VPS or dedicated server. VPS start at about US $5.00 per month. When you get a VPS it should be XEN or OpenVZ virtualization, and also it should be advertised as "TUN enabled".

Hi, can you please make a suggestion for on a VPS for the US? I have been looking to invest in a VPS account but they are all quite expensive. Sorry for the off-topic.
Thanks!
I actually have a VPS based in france.. Its really fast i get unmetered bandwidth and 60bg harddrive spave with 6gb ram.
i love it let me know if you would like to get setup, they do it within an hour.

Cheers :mrgreen:

Jennyknight
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Jennyknight » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:32 am

wowsr wrote:Hi, can you please make a suggestion for on a VPS for the US? I have been looking to invest in a VPS account but they are all quite expensive. Sorry for the off-topic.
Thanks!
I am very happy with Dreamhost's VPS service. They are based in San Diego, California. I have just upgraded to a private server, but I was paying less than $20 a month for a vps account.
I believe this URL will offer you some kind of discount if you sign up: http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?91095)