Random problem with roadwarriors on windows machines

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

gxcr
OpenVpn Newbie

Random problem with roadwarriors on windows machines

Post by gxcr » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi. I have successfully configured openvpn server on a linux box on my job. I configured it following tunnel setup (not bridge), i have added various xp and vista machines to the vpn. However, at random times some roadwarriors cannot connect to the samba shares that need credentials. The samba server is on another linux box on the same LAN. FTP is working fine, also ping, can ssh to both machines without problems, but windows explorer keep showing the message that the credentials are invalid for the share. I have reviewed log files for the client machine on the samba server and they show that the the access has been done with nobody credentials.

I have installed a FTP client called jFTP who supports SMB protocol and i can transfer files from the shares without problems (previously i entered username and password). Thus, i suppose that VPN configuration on the server must be ok.

I have to say that the problem occurs when roadwarriors are connected using mobile broadband (huawei modems).

If somebody could post a possible explanation for this behaviour and a solution i would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

gxcr
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Random problem with roadwarriors on windows machines

Post by gxcr » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:30 pm

I have recently tested on an xp laptop with the same modem and the problem doesn't occur. Window explorer is working fine and can connect to all the protected shares. Could be a problem in vista OS?

gxcr
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by gxcr » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:22 am

I do some testing on my vista laptop using my home adsl connection and i was able to connect to the samba shares, so i am suspecting that must exist some issue related to the huawei modem and vista os. When i configure my laptop i did several tests with various modems and cell phones, and now the modem setup seems partially broken. Could it be related to firewall blocking port 139 or 445? or that my configuration uses udp traffic?

Douglas
Forum Team

Post by Douglas » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:21 am

gxcr wrote:I do some testing on my vista laptop using my home adsl connection and i was able to connect to the samba shares, so i am suspecting that must exist some issue related to the huawei modem and vista os. When i configure my laptop i did several tests with various modems and cell phones, and now the modem setup seems partially broken. Could it be related to firewall blocking port 139 or 445? or that my configuration uses udp traffic?
Why are you using udp?

krzee
Forum Team

Post by krzee » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:39 am

Douglas wrote: Why are you using udp?
why wouldnt he be? udp > tcp for openvpn transport protocol

@ gxcr: i have run openvpn over one of those cell modems and it worked fine for me with udp... i dont run smb but that should work fine too since it is encapsulated in the tunnel
try disabling the firewall on the offending client for testing

gxcr
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by gxcr » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:31 pm

Thank for your replies and sorry for my late response. I will try to disable the firewall as you suggested.