Cisco IPSEC VPN Client on Linux causing Kernel Panic

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

hank42
OpenVpn Newbie

Cisco IPSEC VPN Client on Linux causing Kernel Panic

Post by hank42 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:33 pm

I just thought I'd share my experience tracking down OpenVpn causing a kernel panic in some of my Linux clients, for those of you who might be experiencing the same.

The issue was caused by the fact the the Cisco VPN client for Linux (v 4.x) was installed previously on the linux client machines. The Cisco VPN solution was replaced with OpenVPN, but the Cisco client software was never removed. Even though the Cisco client software was not running, the installed kernel modules were being loaded. When the OpenVPN client session ended, and try to remove the route to the tun interface, the Cisco module would cause a kernel panic.

The solution was obvious, remove the Cisco kernel module completely.

H.

Douglas
Forum Team

Re: Cisco IPSEC VPN Client on Linux causing Kernel Panic

Post by Douglas » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:18 am

hank42 wrote:I just thought I'd share my experience tracking down OpenVpn causing a kernel panic in some of my Linux clients, for those of you who might be experiencing the same.

The issue was caused by the fact the the Cisco VPN client for Linux (v 4.x) was installed previously on the linux client machines. The Cisco VPN solution was replaced with OpenVPN, but the Cisco client software was never removed. Even though the Cisco client software was not running, the installed kernel modules were being loaded. When the OpenVPN client session ended, and try to remove the route to the tun interface, the Cisco module would cause a kernel panic.

The solution was obvious, remove the Cisco kernel module completely.

H.

Thanks for the tip! What a strange issue.