Help convince a large water company

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

travelmanics
OpenVpn Newbie

Help convince a large water company

Post by travelmanics » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:34 am

Can someone help. We Have won a contract with a large water company to install a number of telemetry units across their estate that will be responsible for collecting and alarming on plant data.

This data is passed onto the central control system (SCADA). Data from the telemetry unit to the SCADA system is sent over an adsl line using openvms as this is the protocol supported by the ewon adsl modem.

The problem is that the Water company only supports IKE/IPSEC VPN. Therefore we suggested using an endian server. They are a little nervous of this route because the endian server company are relatively small italian company with little support in the uk.

Therefore, they have asked us to give them
details

1.) where openvms is used (large companies)
2.) how well is it supported and what is the roadmap. As they are concerned it will disappear in a few years
3.) what are the advantages of openvms over IKE/IPSEC VPN
4.) what are the disadvantages of openvms over IKE/IPSEC VPN
5.) are there any other solutions aside from using an endian server

If any would could help it would be appreciated

krzee
Forum Team

Re: Help convince a large water company

Post by krzee » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:02 pm

This is the OpenVPN forum, not OpenVMS. Good luck finding info on openvms... when I had to teach myself how to operate that years ago it was damn near impossible to find info on it. HP's "ask the wizard" was the best I could find.
OpenVPN does not run on OpenVMS, and IPsec is not compatible with OpenVPN.