VPN and ISP routing

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

zander
OpenVpn Newbie

VPN and ISP routing

Post by zander » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:17 pm

Hello,

I"m new to OpenVPN

I need to set up a VPN on a Windows 2003 server, which is hosted on a Cloud.

I was told that I could not set up both a Windows Firewall and a Windows VPN on the same machine because they both need the NAT service. So, I"m looking for another solution.

The reason for the VPN is not so much for security, but that I live in a foreign country with poor consumer level IP routing by the ISP. This routing ofte has an unacceptable amount of packet loss making important work sessions to the USA unstable.

This ISP however routes standard VPN traffic over a business network that is more reliable and robust. It operates at an acceptable level at times when the consumer network barely functions.

I don't know how the ISP selects the VPN traffic for a different route. I expect that it is is IPSec or L2TP traffic.

Can anyone tell me if an OpenVPN tunnel would cause this desirable routing, or if it would remain routed over the poorer consumer grade path?

Thanks.

krzee
Forum Team

Re: VPN and ISP routing

Post by krzee » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:30 am

Most likely your ISP will not know that your OpenVPN VPN is actually a VPN. Their detection methods would need to be pretty advanced for that.

zander
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: VPN and ISP routing

Post by zander » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:47 pm

That is what I imagined. Thank you.