TCP UDP How many confs

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

pigeon35
OpenVpn Newbie

TCP UDP How many confs

Post by pigeon35 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:28 am

Hello,

Struggling with some basics for a while, hoping for some help please.

Windows 10 21H2 64bit OpenVPN 2.54 (both server + client....although also tried linux client un Ubuntu 20.04 which connected and is fast)

Got a working server + client config using TAP UDP 1194 :)

But Windows RDP to either linux or windows client has been very unstable, disconnecting every 5-25 minutes.
This is on a 38Mb Fibre line (client) connecting to a 100Mb leased line (server).
I've spent a few weeks trying pings and changing configs and the best I got so far is:
fragment 1380
mssfix 1380
Along with running RDP at 15bit, zero graphics enhancements apart from smooth font.
And setting RDP Server Group Policy to only allow TCP (this seemed to halve the disconnects). But OpenVPN is running UDP.

This lead to lots of changes, some didnt always work (eg linux client as -tunnel-mtu as a config line, which does not work on windows, its -tun-mtu)....but I found out after getting booted off and its a 85 mile round trip to sort out.

So really, three questions:

1. Does OpenVPN need to run TCP if RDP is set to TCP for most reliable service?

2. Does there need to be a separate OpenvPN server config for UDP and TCP?

3. Even if 1&2 are answered no, having a constantly working openVPN config would be handy! So how can I run two instances of OpenVPN?
I've tried adding a second TAP device. Then adding a second config that mirrors the first except it has dev-node = 'NameOf2ndTap' device.
I tried running on a different port to the UDP config.
I removed the "local blah" line from both.
In every case, only one instance of OpenVPN server starts.

I will confess to having spent nearly 100 hours on this so far....which is my failings I'm sure. But hoping for some help.

Thank you.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: TCP UDP How many confs

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:26 pm

pigeon35 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:28 am
2. Does there need to be a separate OpenvPN server config for UDP and TCP?
Currently, yes. But work is being done to allow multi protocol and port servers.

As for RDP - It is a closed source protocol. Ask micro-skidmarks ..