Accessing app through OpenVPN working in one location but not another

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

CPickler
OpenVpn Newbie

Accessing app through OpenVPN working in one location but not another

Post by CPickler » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:03 am

I have setup OpenVPN in two separate locations with one being run on a Netgear Orbi mesh network and one being setup on a Netgear Nighthawk mesh network (MR80). I am able to connect to both networks using OpenVPN and access the internal resources. There is a system installed in both locations called Trimlight (permanent lighting system). When I VPN into the Orbi system, then I can scan and find the Trimlight controllers. When I connect to the Nighthawk system, it scans and never finds them. When I am on the local Wi-Fi with the Nighthawk system it finds them perfectly. I have validated that the settings for the OpenVPN between the two systems appear to be the same. This system is only accessible via their app and you must be on the local Wi-Fi in order to access it.

Is there some difference in how Netgear has implemented the OpenVPN between the Orbi and the Nighthawk systems?

VPN is enabled
TUN Mode Service Type is UDP
TAP Mode Service Type is UDP
Clients will use this VPN to access: All Sites on the Internet & Home Network

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Accessing app through OpenVPN working in one location but not another

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:48 pm

You have a lot of different problems here, which are only marginally related to Openvpn.

I suggest you get some professional help.

I am available for hire: tincantech at protonmail dot com