Work Laptop - Remote

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

jpjpjp
OpenVpn Newbie

Work Laptop - Remote

Post by jpjpjp » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:27 am

My SO works for a company in Europe that locks the PC if it detects that it is not in country. We want to work from another country for a week or so, and I am trying to figure out the best way to get around this.

Options that I have thought of so far:

Using a VPN service. Drawbacks are that we may need to install software and their IT team could detect that we are using a VPN. Because of this, don't really think this would be a good option

Buy two RaspberryPi's. Connect one to our home network as a VPN Server. The other would come with us and we would establish a P2P VPN tunnel between the two. Only issue I see with this is that the RaspberryPi we bring with us would both need to connect to a wifi network to have internet/establish the VPN and broadcast/connect to the laptop to give it internet. Basically not sure if this would actually work and also am not 100% sure if this would be detectable.

Anyone have any suggestions? I was hoping there might just be a device I buy that I could bring with me on trips and connect to our home network but that doesn't seem to exist. Very new to all this so excuse my ignorance.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Work Laptop - Remote

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:21 pm

I guess you did not / do not want to ask permission? I really think that would be best. Maybe the company has a reason for this policy. Life is always more difficult when you break the rules made by The People In Charge.

I don't understand the mention of Raspberry Pi? How is that different from any other computer? Any cheap laptop that can run Linux in console mode would surely be more easily portable than a Pi.

The simplest and fairly low-tech idea is to run an openvpn server (community version or OpenVPN Access Server) at home, with --redirect-gateway, and connect to it with a cell phone, and use the cell phone to provide Internet access to the company PC.

blah blah blah disclaimer, OpenVPN does not support breaking any company's rules nor any country's laws. Don't try this at home; professional driver on a closed track. Use or rebroadcast without the express written permission of Major League Baseball is strictly forbidden. Regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:50 am

jpjpjp wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:27 am
My SO works for a company in Europe that locks the PC if it detects that it is not in country. We want to work from another country for a week or so, and I am trying to figure out the best way to get around this.
openvpn_inc wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:21 pm
I guess you did not / do not want to ask permission?
:roll:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32674

You too can defeat your government and google .. because they are idiots who don't know shit

SIIL
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by SIIL » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:52 am

Dear OpenVPN,

We are encountering a TLS handshake on some of our users. The situation is others when connected to home internet there a TLS handshake error but OK on their mobile data and some others are in opposite situation.
Looking forward on your response.

Thanks