Remote Play with PS5 using VPN from android phone

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

vpnos
OpenVpn Newbie

Remote Play with PS5 using VPN from android phone

Post by vpnos » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:27 pm

Hello all,

I am trying to get my Samsung Note 10+ to use remote play without lag. I am using the app PSPLAY which is an alternative to sonys official Remote Play app. This is so I can use an android gamepad and use remote play outside of my home network.

So the app suggests that you use port forwarding to access the PlayStation while away from your network. If I use port forwarding then it is fine very minimal lag issue I'd say 9 out of 10 that it is good to use.

But I know that port forwarding isn't the best safe option so I came across OpenVPN because my Asus RT-AC3100 router has it as option as a VPN server.
So I was able to set that up and I can connect from my phone. And the PSPLAY app will also connect while I am using it but the downside is there is much lag. I would say 3 out of 10 usability.

I also am subscribed to NordVPN but that is on a per device use. I do not have it set up at the router.

I was hoping someone could offer me a solution as to what I need to do to get my remote play back to good playability that is safe and secure.

Or am I worrying about nothing with using port forwarding to the PS5.

Thank you all!