Getting IP/routing conflict error when setting up VPN

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

quarantinho
OpenVpn Newbie

Getting IP/routing conflict error when setting up VPN

Post by quarantinho » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:41 pm

Hey guys,

let me preface this by saying that I'm somewhat of a noob who's trying to set up a VPN to my dad's house. My dad has sent me a openVPN cfg file which works fine when trying to connect via the Windows OpenVPN Connect programm, however I want all my connections to be routed through the VPN tunnel and thus have tried to set up the configuration right with my router.

My network setup looks like this: Modem -> Router -> PC (via Ethernet) and I'm using the ASUS RT-N66U.

So now here's the problem: When loading the OpenVPN config file in the router's interface and activating the connection, I'm left with this issue: https://imgur.com/rLYZqeF

Apparently there is a "IP/routing conflict" that I seem to be unable to resolve. I've reassigned both the modem as well as my router to different IPs in the LAN, but that didn't solve the problem. What else could be causing this?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Getting IP/routing conflict error when setting up VPN

Post by TinCanTech » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:42 pm

First, I do not think you are using OpenVPN Access Server on your router.

Second,
quarantinho wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:41 pm
I'm left with this issue:
What issue ?
quarantinho wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:41 pm
Apparently there is a "IP/routing conflict" that I seem to be unable to resolve
Where ?

Try to fill in some of the blanks by reading this:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22603

quarantinho
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by quarantinho » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:28 pm

I think part of the problem is that I don't really understand what the problem itself is (again, I'm pretty much a noob). So I'm having a hard time navigating through the manual as I don't know where to look exactly.

To describe the issue a bit further: I can connect to a VPN via the OpenVPN Client on my windows PC, but I can't make it run "on my router" so to speak - all I'm getting is a "IP/routing conflict" when trying to set up as seen in this picture

quarantinho
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by quarantinho » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:32 pm

Please close this thread as it's not suitable for this forum, I have posted an updated version of my question here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31558