Difference between openVPN GUI and openVPN connect

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

glimz
OpenVpn Newbie

Difference between openVPN GUI and openVPN connect

Post by glimz » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:27 am

I have installed openVPN on Ubuntu vps server and I am using openVPN GUI client on windows server.
I have used openVPN connect before connecting using the web admin platform (https://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:943/admin).

I guess there are two different openVPN installation packages, one works with the GUI and the other with the connect or how does this work?
I want to use the openvpn connect client as I do not want to always log into my vps to configure my openvpn server.
Must I install the other vpn package?
Or there is a way to make this work another way?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Difference between openVPN GUI and openVPN connect

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:15 pm

The OpenVPN-GUI is shipped with OpenVPM Community Edition (Free)

OpenVPN-Connect is shipped with OpenVPN Access Server (I believe)

I don't understand your other question ..

novajones001
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by novajones001 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:25 am

glimz wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:27 am
I have installed openVPN on Ubuntu vps server and I am using openVPN GUI client on windows server.
I have used openVPN connect before connecting using the web admin platform (https://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:943/admin).

I guess there are two different openVPN installation packages, one works with the GUI and the other with the connect or how does this work?
I want to use the openvpn connect client as I do not want to always log into my vps to configure my openvpn server.
Must I install the other vpn package?
Or there is a way to make this work another way?

In short: OpenVPN Access Server is "almost free" and "just OpenVPN" (Community Edition) is totally free
However, they are configured in different ways. Open AS has indeed a web interface that simplifies (a lot) the tasks for setting it up. Open CE on the other hand, has to be configured by editing some configuration files
OpenVPN Access Server:
pros: very simple an intuitive configuration
cons: limited to two concurrent users. Although each additional one costs only nine USD a year, they are purchased in blocks of ten.
Some web features don´t work well (uploading your own CA certificate is one of them, so you still have to edit some files.

jonathan4462
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jonathan4462 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:19 pm

I just asked this same question at viewtopic.php?f=37&t=33296&p=103085

This thread pops up every time I search though, so I'm linking the other one in case it helps anyone else - I hope that's OK.